WINDOWS UPGRADE INSTALLATION THEORY
WINDOWS UPGRADE INSTALLATION THEORY
There are total three types of installation of windows 8.1. Namely clean installation, upgrade installation and migration. All of the three are important to learn. But in this post i am going to tell you something about upgrade installation which is a most important type of installation. So let us begin
Upgrade installation of windows 8.1 replace the existing version of windows operating system and it also retain the user settings and applications.
This method directly upgrades computers to window 8.1 which run older version of windows operating system. The windows 8.1 installation program runs with minimal user interaction, and it automatically retains all user setting, data hardware device, settings applications and other configuration information.
With the help of unattended set up answer files additional setting can be made in the upgrade installation. All previously installed applications remains installed.
When reinstallation of applications is not required then upgrade installation is done . Consider the following points for performing upgrade installation.
· When recent version of window operating system has compatible applications.
· When storage space is not sufficient to store user data
· When replacement of existing computer hardware is not required.
· When only few computers regards upgrading.
Evaluating an upgrade scenario : in any potential upgrade scenario, there might be certain variables that favour an upgrade. However there are also certain disadvantages.
Following are the advantages of upgrade scenario:
· Without additional efforts, retains user settings, application settings and files.
· It does not require reinstallation of the applications as it preserves installed applications.
· No additional storage space is required for migration.
· Preserves user settings and data as it impacts user productive minimally.
· It is a very simple setup process.
Following are the disadvantages of upgrade scenario:
· Oppurtunity to start fresh with standarized refrence configurations can not be available.
· After upgrading, reserved applications might not work correctly.
· Contribute to performance and security issues from the remnant files or setting from an inplace upgrade.
· Windows operating system edition changes are not allowed
· Performed only on supported operating systems.
Data retention in a windows 8.1 upgrade : windows setup automatically detects existing operating systems and their potential for upgrade. Depending on the versions of operating system, following options are available for retaining data from the previos versions of the windows operating system:
· Windows settings: window settings will retain the desktop background or internet favourites and history.windows setting does not move all settings.
· Personal files: personal files option retains the matter in the user folders, such as document and desktop folders.
· Desktop applications: this option retains the installation disks and installlers for desktop applications that are required to make applications compatible with windows 8.1, however they require some desktop applications after windows 8.1 finishes installation.
· Nothing : this option will deletes everything and it will replace current version with a copy of windows 8.1. With this option the personal file will be moved to a windows old folder.
The following considerations might be critical in determining whether you choose to upgrade:
· Amount of interaction. An upgrade does not require significant user interaction. You can use answer file to further minimize user interaction and effort when performing an upgrade.
· State of user data. An upgrade does not require reinstallation of application or any other user settings, data, hardware device settings, or other configuration information. However you might have to reinstall some applications after you perform an upgrade.
Thank you for reading